- 1 -
Find your card
Locate the card you are ready to practice and place it on your music stand.
- 2 -
Turn it over
On your instrument, explore musical ideas playing the color-coded notes.
- 3 -
Line 'em up
Line up your cards side by side as you work through sections in each song.
- Are you nervous about an upcoming solo in jazz band?
- Do you have an audition that requires an improvised solo?
- Do you open the Real Book and think, "What am I supposed to play"?
- Do you wish you could solo on the chord changes and sound great?
- Wouldn't it be awesome to sound great and learn theory while you play?
- Have you been excited to attend an improvisation workshop only to leave totally confused?
JazzDeck™ is your answer...
- Do you avoid teaching improvisation because it takes away from rehearsal time?
- Rather than transposing an elaborate description of "what to play when" -- for each instrument -- over every chord, arm your students with JazzDeck™ and try the following: "Class, find the card that matches the chord above measure one and turn it over. Solo using the color-coded notes."
- Each JazzDeck™ includes teaching cards that illustrate an approach that students can use to interpret the chord changes for themselves.
JazzDeck™ in your classroom...
- Have you always wanted to play jazz but were intimidated by the chord changes?
- Do you have a strong foundation in classical music and have always wanted to learn how to play jazz?
- Are you a proficient guitar player who gave up on jazz when it came time to read music or address concepts that just aren't covered in tab?
- Have you purchased a number of jazz theory books and not made it past page 10 in any of them?